Friday, April 4, 2008

stress, worry -- where's the joy?!

So, today I was face with many thoughts, emotions, and crazy ideas. Looking back, it's sad to me how my stressful life has taken advantage of things. In a way, its like a little devil that just needs to be stomped out of my life. It can eliminate the simple pleasures in life and make not so important things very large... not to say situations weren't preventable or not important. So, right now I am taking the time to remember the some of the special, simple and important things in my life - coming back with some joy!

praying with my husband
hearing I love you, or have I told you lately....
snuggling
going to church
hangin' with Ike
teaching my classes, but not pig dissections!
cooking dinner
going to the movies
being outside
swimming
baking
taking a hot shower

But, one of the things I am also realizing... is joy does not come by doing something for me or myself. When I was very young, I remember hearing that if you aren't having the greatest day or feeling down - try to make someone else's day brighter and make them smile. Its not really easy to do... but its a great start to be out of the downer. And let me say this... I am not perfect when it comes to finding true joy and eliminating worry, but I am slowly learning with mistakes, one day (or hour) at a time.

LJ

2 comments:

  1. Nice post...I can relate with the stress & worry and not focusing on the simple joys of life.

    Coming to GR saturday? WHat time are you thinking? I may go rock climbing with some of my students so I'm trying to plan my day a bit...

    ReplyDelete
  2. pig dissections are fun! i miss t.a.ing for those in college. college kids are so much easier to work with than young kids...
    miss ya!

    ReplyDelete